Artificial intelligence is revolutionizing many aspects of our lives, including our communication with pets. In this article, we will examine how AI technology can help us communicate with pets more effectively, nurturing a deeper connection and mutual understanding.
The challenge of understanding pets’ barking and body language
In the movie “Lassie Come Home” there is a clip, said the pet dog Lassie found someone fell into the well, barking furiously at the owner, the owner asked the dog what is wrong, but Lassie can only bark incessantly. Although this is only a movie, in real life, we do worry about not being able to understand the constant barking of our pets. Can this situation be changed in the future? Can technological development help us understand the meaning of the pet’s bark?
How Pets Communicate with Us?
To answer this question, we first need to know how our pets talk to us.
Pets’ vocalizations and their meanings
The dog’s barking is part of nature, just like human language, if not barking that is not a normal dog, but if your dog is a “chatterbox” that never stops talking, then there is a problem, in general, the dog barking to express the following 8 kinds of meaning:
- The dog’s barking is an unconditioned reflex that is innate, because it will help people watch the house, the owner often encourages the dog to watch the house well, the dog found that it does the master happy and rewarded, the more powerful the natural bark.
- Some dogs bark because they are separated from their owners with mental stress, so they will keep barking.
- Some dogs bark because they are afraid, in order to show that they are strong, so the bluff to the threatening things keep barking.
- Other dogs think they are already the boss of the family and need to give orders to all members, so they will bark at family members.
- When there is a need in life, barking is a cue to the owner.
- Barking to tell the owner when he finds something.
- Bark when they are angry.
- They bark when they are excited.
Pets’ body movements and their significance
It sometimes expresses information to us through their own movements.
- Nose licking. Dogs feel highly stressed or angry and will lick their noses to relieve their emotions
Yawning.If the owner is teaching the dog a lesson and the dog is obviously not sleepy but yawns a lot, it means he feels his owner’s anger and wants to divert his emotions.
- Staring at you. Dogs are not strong-willed, so if it stares at you, it means it likes you a lot or is curious about you
- Eye avoidance. If the dog’s eyes are flashing in the face of the owner’s gaze, it may be because it has done something wrong.
- Panting. Dogs rely on their tongues to dissipate heat. After exercise or in hot weather, dogs will stick out their tongues to pant.
- Ears pricked up. The dog is in an alert state, probably because it has encountered something new, and the dog should listen carefully with its ears pricked up.
- Belly curl. Showing surrender, obedience or pampering to the opponent, the dog’s gentleman’s covenant: never attack an opponent who shows his belly!
- Wagging the tail. Wagging the tail from side to side indicates that the dog is in a good mood.
- Licking you. If the dog is not hungry, licking you is a sign that it likes you and wants to play with you.
- Licking hair. If you find your dog licking theirs a lot, it could be that part of their body that is uncomfortable.
- Chasing the tail. Maybe they feel boring, but it could also be an itchy tail and be aware of any skin conditions.
- Stomping hard on the ground. Dogs try to hide things, or dogs will also dig into the ground when they are bored, excited, or nervous
- Showing teeth and grimacing. This means the dog feels threatened, usually when protecting its children, objects, or when there is a new member of the family.
- Wagging the tail. With a gentle wagging of the tail, this means the dog wants to invite you to play with him (dogs will also wag their tails when they come across their favorite toy).
- Nudging the ground with your head. This is not a sign of petting. Pay attention to check your dog’s eyes for redness, tearing, and eye droppings, and check for eye inflammation
Pets’ physiological characteristics
such as heart rate and breathing rate. They can be obtained through the measurement of precision instruments. Through machines and artificial intelligence, it is obviously possible to obtain the third kind of information, so is it possible for the first two kinds of information to be understood through artificial intelligence?
The Role of AI in Understanding Human Communication with Pets
Voice & Movements
We know that dogs can understand most of what their owners want to express through their owner’s voice and movements, especially those dogs that spend time with humans. If we can figure out how pet dogs understand the meaning expressed by humans, reverse the research, is it also possible to achieve communication with dogs?
This is indeed possible, some experts are engaged in the study of the canine brain, they have found that the communication between dogs and their owners is complex and variable, the most amazing thing is that they can indeed “read” human body language. As we gain a deeper understanding of the way our pets understand humans, it is possible to efficiently communicate cooperative messages to our pets through body language, and even achieve a smooth dialogue between them and us humans.
In addition to body language, is it possible for us to have normal conversations with our pets through our voices? Is it possible for us to see the scene in the cartoon – talking to our pets as we talk to other humans – for example, asking our animal friends: Have you eaten today? This seems unlikely at the moment.
Limitations of Current AI Technology in Communication with Pets
Currently, AI technology is not advanced enough to allow us to communicate directly with our pets in order to understand each other’s thoughts and emotions.
While AI models can process and analyze data related to pets, they do not necessarily “understand” pets in the same way that humans do.
Artificial intelligence algorithms can be trained to recognize images and sounds of pets, but they do not have the same emotional connection or ability to empathize with pets that humans do.
While some companies claim to have developed AI devices that can detect and analyze pet vocalizations and body language, there is still much debate among experts about the accuracy and reliability of these technologies.
The Potential of AI in Improving Our Communication with Pets
However, artificial intelligence can help us better understand our pets’ behavior and preferences by analyzing data from sensors, cameras and other devices.
Research is underway to develop artificial intelligence systems that can analyze a pet’s behavior to detect signs of pain or distress and recognize and respond to a pet’s vocalizations and body language.
Researchers are exploring ways to develop artificial intelligence models that can better understand and interact with pets. For example, artificial intelligence is playing a significant role in tracking a pet’s activity level, eating habits and sleep patterns, which can provide insight into its health and preferences.
This information helps us to make informed decisions about our pets’ care and create a more supportive and nurturing environment for them.
Overall, AI models can provide valuable insights and information related to pets, but they are not a substitute for human understanding and compassion for animals.
While AI may not directly facilitate communication between humans and pets, it can still play a useful role in helping us better understand and care for our furry friends.
The Future of AI Enhanced Communication with Pets
Perhaps, in the future, we have more advanced instruments and more advanced language systems? Currently we only know that animals of the same species have their own specific language expressions, but perhaps, we can break through this level and achieve a higher level of ‘conversation’?
Such a possibility is still hidden behind a whole new era, and we urgently need further understanding of language and animal behavior, as well as more tools that transcend time.
Harnessing the power of artificial intelligence, pet owners can uncover innovative ways for communication with pets, leading to a better understanding of their needs and improved overall care. As AI technology continues to develop, its influence on pet care and behavior research is likely to expand significantly.
Maybe one day we can communicate freely with our pets or even other animals.
What do you think?